News & Events Archive

View our older news and event items

Staying in the good books of the tax man can usually mean businesses, and some accountants, aren’t proactive in making savings within the realms of Corporation Tax.

Regulations and laws are tighter surrounding Corporation Tax but that doesn’t mean you can’t save a few pounds.

Here are our top tips that can show you how to save on your Corporation tax bill:

  1. Make sure you keep a record of everything paid for personally as this can offset your profits; and can also mean you are able to draw said money out of the company personally and it’ll be tax-free.
  1. Ensure you are claiming your capital allowances – a very important factor, read our previous blog post about capital allowances
  1. R&D – you could be reimbursed by HMRC if your company is seen to be innovative, and in-turn lowering your Corporation Tax bill. Unsure about if you can claim, see our previous blog post. Ascendis, accountants in Cheshire, are specialists in claiming R&D tax credits, you could be part of the 97& of eligible companies who aren’t claiming.
  1. Pension contributions – this is an allowable expense if you as a director makes contributions, you will also gain from a personal savings stand point.
  1. Make sure you are accruing for all costs necessary – if you have not yet paid for a cost but know it will only slightly fall outside of your businesses Y/E it should be included. But be aware, this will need to be reversed in next year’s accounts

There are many more ways to reduce your Corporation Tax bill. Get in contact for a free consultation, we cover a range of tax saving means.


A complex tax system in this country can make it difficult to understand your liability as a company director. Failing to register for VAT for example, or submit your tax payments as an employer, could result in HM Revenue and Customs taking action against you, including issuing a range of financial penalties.

Keeping up with current and new legislation as a director is crucial to your company’s success, so here we look at five of the most common types of tax that you should be aware of as a company director.

Corporation tax

Corporation tax is paid on the taxable profits of your company, and currently stands at a rate of 20%. As soon as the company was formed you should have registered to pay this tax, which is applied to all profits, as there is no equivalent to the personal allowance for limited companies.

Corporation tax becomes due nine months and one day after the end of your accounting year, and you have an obligation to complete a CT600 which is the annual corporation tax return.

So what might taxable profits include? Profits made during normal trading activities, most investments, and profits from the sale of assets are generally included in the figure. You may be entitled to claim reliefs and capital allowances to reduce your corporation tax bill.

Income tax

If you are director of a limited company, you may be liable to pay income tax on the dividends and salary you take out of the business. The lower threshold is currently £11,000, so any income above this amount will be taxed under the Pay As You Earn scheme, and deducted at source by your company’s payroll system.

A new dividend taxation regime came into force on 1st April 2016, whereby individuals have a tax-free dividend allowance of £5,000 in addition to the personal allowance mentioned above.

New dividend tax rates have also been introduced:

  • Basic Rate: 7.5%
  • Higher Rate: 32.5%
  • Additional Rate: 38.1%

National Insurance

If you are paid a salary of £8,060 or more from your company, then you’ll be liable for Class 1 National Insurance contributions as an employee. The company itself will also need to pay Class 1 employer’s contributions to HMRC.

The New Employment Allowance was introduced in 2014, however, which means that you can claim back up to £3,000 of employer’s Class 1 National Insurance contributions in a tax year, if you are the director and you employ other staff.


From 1st April 2016, the threshold to register for VAT is £83,000. If your turnover exceeds this figure at any point during a rolling 12-month period, you must inform HMRC. Failing to register for VAT, non-payment of the tax, or sending late payments, will all incur financial penalties.

VAT is paid on many goods in the UK, and your company collects it on behalf of HMRC. The difference between how much you receive in VAT, and how much you pay, is the amount sent to HMRC.

The standard rate of VAT is currently 20%, but schemes are available to make the collection and reporting process easier for eligible companies. For example:

  • Cash accounting: helps eligible companies with their cash flow, as VAT is only paid out once the money has been received by the business.
  • Flat rate scheme: this simplifies the calculation process, and makes administration easier.

Business rates

Business rates are similar to the council tax you pay on your home, so if you operate from business premises you will probably be liable to pay this type of tax. The money received from non-domestic properties is used to pay for local services, including education and social care.

The amount you pay is based on the rateable value of your premises multiplied by the government-set business rate multiplier, which is reassessed every few years. Two different figures are used – the ‘standard’ multiplier and a small business multiplier which takes account of lower turnover levels.

Rateable values are generally reassessed every few years, and there are various reliefs available to eligible businesses. Some premises such as farm buildings receive automatic exemption from business rate liability, and there are various other reliefs available depending on the size and nature of your business.

Home-based companies are not always subject to business rates, but this depends on whether you employ staff to work from your home, and also the nature of the business.

Ascendis can ensure you comply with all your tax liabilities as a company director, and avoid the hefty penalties imposed by HMRC for late or non-payment.


Call if you want to discuss any of the above on 0161 359 4227/0845 054 8560