News & Events Archive

View our older news and event items

If this is your first year of filing your personal tax return or you’re just generally unsure, read our top tips about the self-assessment deadline.

Make sure you’re registered

If you’re registered you will have been given a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), you should also have had correspondence from HMRC to confirm that you’re registered. If you are looking to file it yourself, you will also need a Government Gateway login.

If you’re not registered, you will need to be quick because HMRC only provide your UTR by post, which could take a while.

If you’re not sure, HMRC can answer any queries as long as you know your National Insurance number.

Deadlines are there to be adhered to

Don’t ignore the deadlines! If it comes to February and you haven’t filed your return you will be hit automatically with a £100 fine – and that’ll just be for starters.

If you really aren’t able to meet the deadline, make the taxman aware of any genuine reasons as to why you won’t meet the deadline. But don’t depend on a deadline extension!

What if I don’t need to pay any tax?

You will still need to submit a self-assessment form even if you don’t need to pay any tax. The tax man still wants to know, no matter how little you earned.

Be honest!

Any earnings are classed as an income so even if you sell crafts on Ebay, they will want to know about it.

Property rental should be included on your self-assessment  

Even if you’re making a loss on your rental property, you still need to state whether you’re up or down in terms of earnings.

Ask for help if you need it

If you’re unsure of any of the above, we’re happy to help and can ensure quick turnaround times.